Sunday, August 7, 2011

WHY I DO THIS: FOR MY FRIENDS



If you would've told the 5th grade version of me, that one of my best friends would have moved to Arizona, one would have been married off & seen very seldom, one would have become a firefighter & due to his schedule, I only see him infrequently, & lastly, that one would have been removed from life almost entirely until recently. I would have told you to shut up & let me play kick ball, because I wouldn't have believed it, especially when I saw these guys every day. Well, at least monday through Friday.


But the reality of it is, friends grow up & create lives for them selves, it doesn't matter if you've known them since 1st grade or not. This is a great thing, but for some one who is very close with his best friends & was used to seeing them every day, its an unpleasant feeling knowing that it will be extremely rare that we will all be in the same place at the same time ever again.


So, when I decided to create 'Grade 5' I knew first & foremost that the series was going to be about my friends. I wanted this to act as tribute to a time when my friends & I could sit across from each other at a lunch table & discuss what we were planning to do during the weekend, instead of texting/ facebooking each other from miles away. 


And even though the characters are at the point where they are taking a life of their own, & sounding less like the friends that I grew up with, this is something that I can always look back on to be remind me of a nostalgic time that I will never get back, but one that I was very blessed to have. Because honestly, not every one has four best friends that they can afford to be stupid with. 


-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment